A V4L2 driver for the Hauppauge WinTV-PVR-usb2
This driver is neither sponsored nor approved by Hauppauge in any way either.
This program is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify
it under the terms of the GNU General Public License as published by
the Free Software Foundation; either version 2 of the License
This program is distributed in the hope that it will be useful,
but WITHOUT ANY WARRANTY; without even the implied warranty of
MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. See the
GNU General Public License
for more details.
HARDWARE AND SOFTWARE TARGET:
This driver is designed for the WinTV-PVR-usb2.
It won't work with the WinTV-PVR-usb version.
It has been tested in SECAM country. Should work in PAL, and probably in NTSC
with some minor changes.
It will compile with a linux kernel of the 2.6 serie. You need both the firmware_class
modules and the hotplug package (should be the case for modern distribution).
- 2004-10-28 : devel version should work with NTSC devices.
- 2004-09-09 : v0.6 has cleaner sound support. Added some standard change
code. Support for the mmap streaming API (needs testing). Huge internal changes
- 2004-08-10 : v0.5 fixes a serious bug and some misbehavior in audio and
frequency setting code. The xawtv4 hack should work now. The remote is
supported through the /dev/input/eventX interface (latest lircd can use it).
More internal changes.
- 2004-08-06 : v0.4.1 fixes a bug introduced in v0.4.
- 2004-08-04 : Fourth release : v0.4. Added a hack to make xawtv4 happy.
Preliminary support for the remote (sound control works). Start/stop reworked.
- 2004-07-28 : Third release : v0.3. Video and audio should initialize cleanly
for PAL ; works in SECAM.
- 2004-07-14 : Second release : v0.2. No need to replay usb transactions
anymore. The video should work for PAL ; works in SECAM. Audio is not yet
- 2004-07-14 : First release : v0.1.
HOW TO USE:
- Extract firmwares for the WinTV-PVR-usb2 from a Hauppauge windows driver.
For this, we use extract-firmware.pl. It was written by Björn Danielsson (see
links), but I've put a slightly modified version with
- get the file pvrusb2_23_21351.exe from hauppauge website.
- then extract the firmwares :
unzip -d temp pvrusb2_23_21351.exe
perl extract-firmware.pl temp/HCWUSB2.SYS
- Compile the driver module and install it :
make && make install
- Copy some files generated by first step to
the hotplug firmware directory (usually /usr/lib/hotplug/firmware but you can
check FIRMWARE_DIR in /etc/hotplug/firmware.agent) :
cp pvrusb2.f1 pvrusb2.f2 /usr/lib/hotplug/firmware/
- load driver into kernel :
- The MPEG stream is now available in /dev/video0 or higher. The recommended
TV software is Xawtv V4 (cvs snapshots).
- Two sample files (lircrc and lircd.conf) are provided for IR remote support.
- VBI interface.
- Cleaner code.
© Aurelien Alleaume